Today many conditions that once required surgery can be treated nonsurgically through interventional radiology − a form of treatment that offers less risk, less pain and less recovery time compared to open surgery.
Interventional radiologists at Saint Agnes use imaging technologies such as X-rays and ultrasound to guide catheters and other devices into blood vessels and other pathways of the body to perform a variety of procedures. Earlier this year, Saint Agnes added the latest in interventional imaging systems − the Siemens Artis Zee® − which allows clinicians to produce even greater imaging results directly in the procedure room, and minimize exposure to radiation.
- Diagnostic angiograms (carotid, cerebral, extremity, pelvic, pulmonary, renal, visceral)
- Balloon angioplasty
- Vascular stent placement (peripheral, renal, venous)
- Thrombolytic therapy
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Endovascular stentgraft placement for abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)
- Embolization therapy (GI bleeds, hemoptysis, intractable nose bleeds, tumor treatment, uterine fibroids)
- IVC filters
- Venous access placement (central lines, dialysis catheters, implantable ports)
- Non-invasive cardiovascular imaging (Doppler, MRI, CT scan)
Other interventional radiology services
- TIPS (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for treatment of bleeding and abdominal fluid caused by liver disease)
- Biliary drainage procedures
- Tumor embolization and ablation
- Drainage procedures (abcess drainage, paracentesis, thoracentesis)
- Image directed needle biopsy (kidney, liver, lung, thyroid)
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty (link to detailed info)
- Pain management and diagnosis (facet injections, discography)
www.sirweb.org (Society of Interventional Radiology)
For more information about interventional radiology services, call (559) 450-8789.